Imagine an iPhone 6 case that adapts to you – a case so smart, it senses your environment and transforms itself to reflect your surroundings.
Today, we at Moshi are proud to introduce Kameleon Kloak, the only iPhone case on the market that uses the power of the chameleon to seamlessly transform its design to match your current environment.
Researchers from the University of Geneva published a paper in Nature Communications last month that unveiled the secret to the chameleon’s ability to change from one color to another at will. The team discovered that the chameleon has a layer of cells, called iridophores, which contains guanine nanocrystals in a lattice pattern. When the lattice shape is at rest, it generally reflects blue light. But, as the lattice expands, there is an increase in the reflection of yellow and red light.
Taking inspiration from this research, our team of material scientists and engineers at Moshi created cutting-edge material that mimics the properties found in chameleon skin and applied it to one of the most common accessories in our everyday lives – our phone case.
The result: A case that is smart enough to change its design to suit you, wherever you may be. A case that blends so seamlessly into its surroundings that only you will know where it is.
Presenting: Kameleon Kloak.
Kameleon Kloak Features:
- Elegant protection with slim yet durable aluminum kickstand for convenient viewing in both portrait and landscape modes
- Unique nanocrystal lattice technology for seamless color adaptation to surroundings
- Raised bezel protects the display when iPhone is laid flat
- Lightweight and durable materials for extended product life
Anticipated Availability: Due to an incredibly limited supply of Kameleon Kloak, ongoing nanocrystal lattice research and factory limitations, Kameleon Kloak will only be available on April 1, 2015.
- – – – – – – – – -
Happy April Fools’ Day!
Everything about the Kameleon Kloak case in this blog post and the video above are fictitious, meant only for entertainment purposes as our gift to you this April Fools’ Day.
Kameleon is Moshi’s designer hardshell case featuring an aluminum kickstand – check it out here.
Kameleon Kloak is Moshi’s 2015 April Fools’ joke – the product does not exist.
All Jokes Aside
While the Kameleon Kloak is (unfortunately) not a real Moshi product, the science behind the chameleon’s color change is very real. The Nature Communications paper is a real paper published by a team from the University of Geneva on March 10, 2015. Engineers at the University of California at Berkeley also recently created a synthetic chameleon-like material that involves etching rows of ridges onto a thin layer of silicone to reflect a specific wavelength of light. The material would change color depending on how it was flexed and bent.
You can learn more about this awesome technology at the following links:
- Nature Communications (paper), “Photonic crystals cause active colour change in chameleons.”
- Optica (paper), “Flexible photonic metastructures for tunable coloration.”
- Gizmodo, “Scientists Have Worked Out How Chameleons Change Color.”
- Gizmodo, “We Can Now Make Synthetic Chameleon Skin.”
- EurekaAlert! “Engineers create chameleon-like artificial ‘skin’ that shifts color on demand.”
To learn more about Moshi’s existing lineup of smartphone accessories, visit www.moshi.com.
Happy April Fools’ Day, everyone – see you next April!